CENTRAL VALLEY, CA – August is usually one of the busiest months for California since millions of people visit here to enjoy the beaches but it’s also busy for another reason, fire season, a deadly time of year where we see dozens of fires and this is why the need for Defensible Space.
How to Create Defensible Space
Defensible Space is vital at your Central Valley Rental Property because it will create a space between your rental property and an approaching fire that can be used to fight the fire. Sadly, most people don’t think about creating defensible space until it’s too late when this is literally one of the easiest things you can do as a homeowner.
To create defensible space at your rental property you need to do the following:
- Remove dead plants and vegetation from your property.
- Plant trees and shrubs. These should ideally have low resin and sap as well. When planting new vegetation make sure that trees and shrubs have at least 70 feet between them and you also should not plant smaller plants under larger ones.
- Create “fuel breaks” in your landscaping by using either brick or stone. These fuel breaks will stop an advancing fire and give firefighters enough opportunities to save your Central Valley Rental Property.
- Use mulch to conserve water but, you should make sure that your mulch doesn’t contain pine needles because that type of mulch is highly flammable.
- Use non-flammable building materials. This step is an essential Defensible Space Tip because it will keep your house from catching fire if an ember from a fire lands on your home.
- Make sure that the defensible space surrounding your rental property is enforced by hiring a property management company to manage your rental property for you.
Defensible Space Tips
Besides the landscaping tips mentioned in this article, you should also make sure that the entry and exit points to your home are always clear and free of flammable material because, if they catch fire you or your tenants may not be able to escape during a fire.
To learn more about creating Defensible Space at your Central Valley Rental Property, or to speak with us about our property management services, contact RPM Central Valley today by calling us at 209-572-2222 or click here to connect with us online.